Husafell, Husafell, Borgarnes 311, West, Iceland
Husafell, Borgarnes 311, West, Iceland
+354 4351550, +354 4351551
General and in-room facilities and services available at Husafell
outdoor swimming pool
playground for children
garage places on site
heating in room
ironing facilities in room
tea and coffee making facilities
Some excerpts from the website of Husafell that might be useful
Tourist Service at Husafell Price List 2008. Children ( 6 to 14 yrs ). 10-ticket card, adults. 10-ticket card, children. Children under 14 day-pass. Weekly fee, for children. Weekly fee, for couples. Annual fee for couples. The Old Farm has 5 double rooms with joint cooking facilities, living room, dining room, and hot tub. Room w/bedding. (2 persons w/breakfast ). Room w/bedding and bath. (2 persons w/breakfast ). Sleeping Bag Accommodation in Cabins. Joint kitchen and bathroom facilities. Aimd at the stay ends at 16:00 houres the next day. Children 7 - 17 years ols. Children 0 - 6 years old. Electricity pr. pavilion. Access to kitchen pr. person. Pensioner and invalid persons gets 10% discount
The swimming pool at Husafell is one of the most popular recreational facilities in the area. It was originally built in 1965, but since then the pool and its surroundings have undergone numerous improvements. There are two pools, two hot pots and a water slide. From 1 June to 1 Sept. the pool is open from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily, and on weekends during winter. Sat. 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sun. 1 p.m.-4 p.m. The pool can also be opened mid-week for visiting groups. Swimming pool is closed in December and January
Recreation Facilities. Feroažjonustan Husafelli - Husafell - 311 Borgarnes - Simi: (+354) 435 1550/562 1553 - Fax: (+354) 435 1551. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Husafell is among the most frequented tourist places in Iceland, which is not surprising as it is a natural gem. The exceptionally good weather conditions, the forest and the facilities and services for travellers set up in the past few years attract a large number of travellers and guests every year.
The history of Husafell is long and rich in folklore and legend. The oldest references to the settlement of Husafell are found in Laxdale Saga, written about 1170. One of Husafell“s most famous occupants is undoubtedly Snorri Bjornsson (priest), who lived there from 1756 to 1803. Books have been written about him, and countless accounts of him exist, some of them smacking strongly of the tall tale. The pens built by Snorri are famous, and so is the so-called Kviahellan (The Pen Slab), a strenght-testing boulder used to close the pen. For a long time the farm was right on a busy route between the North and the South of Iceland. Because it was the farmer“s duty to provide for travellers, the farm often endured a “plague of visitors“, as it was called. Early in this century, however, things quieted down, but in 1930 the road over Kaldidalur was built and the traffic increased because the main road to the North then passed through Husafell for a number of years. The church in Husafell was originally built in about 1170, but it fell into disuse in 1812. The current church was built over the period 1950-1973, based on a drawing by the artist Asgrimur Jonsson.
Husafell offers a nine-hole golf course in attractive surroundings. The fairways extend along the banks of the Kalda and Stutta rivers, where the golfer has to be careful of the numerous water hazards, and the forest is often too close for comfort. A demanding and exciting golf course. The first fairway is situated below the pool and the green fees are paid there.
A shop for travellers is operated in Husafell from 15 May to 15 September. The shop sells necessities and refreshments. The shop is closed in December and January
Husafell forest offers campsites with toilet, dishwashing and laundry facilities. There are new campsites at a peaceful and beautiful location in Reyoarfell Forest. Campers are required to inform the staff before setting up camp. We do our best to create a family-friendly atmosphere at our campsites; please support our efforts.
Reykholt in Borgarfjorour is one of the old estates of Iceland and a cultural centre both in the past and in the present. Iceland's history is linked to Reykholt, and one of the best known Icelandic writers, the historian and poet Snorri Sturluson (1179-1241), was one of its most famous occupants. He was also a political leader and one of the richest men in Iceland in the Age of the Sturlungs. Snorri was the author of Heimskringla, the history of Norwegian kings, and the Edda, a priceless source of information about Nordic mythology and poetry. Snorralaug and the channels providing water from the Skrifla hot springs are among the oldest man-made structures that have been preserved in Iceland. Medieval studies and research into the history of Borgarfjorour are carried out in the Medieval Institution, Snorrastofa. Heimskringla provides services and information for travellers, e.g. on the history of Reykholt.
Husafell is a hiker's heaven. Alluring trails lie in all directions, and there is always something new to see. There are dense forests, lava formations, crystal-clear springs, dramatic ravines, foaming glacial rivers, diverse fauna and flora, in addition to important relics and vestiges of human settlement which tell innumerable stories of the past and of Man's co-existence with Nature. Travellers will also encounter numerous off-beat sculptures by Pall Guomundsson, which often set off the landscape in an unobtrusive manner. You can find easy hiking trails for the whole family, such as the paths through the forest, but there are also steeper trails for hardier souls, including Eiriksjokull Glacier and Ok. People travelling on horseback and bikers will also discover exciting trails. In the summer there are guided hikes and hiking maps are also available showing Husafell and its surroundings.
Langjokull Glacier, the second largest glacier in Iceland, is approximately 18 km from Husafell. The company Afreyingarfelagio is located at the foot of the glacier and offers excursions onto the glacier. The lodge is situated approximately 800m above sea level and provides stunning views of the surrounding countryside and mountains. Both snow cats and snowmobiles are used on the tours. On a clear day, the view from the glacier is incomparable, but rain and fog offer just as much excitement, as they magnify the glacier's mystique and vast emptiness.
The Old Farm at Husafell, built in 1908, was renovated in 1996 and has since been used as a guest house and restaurant during the summer. In winter it is rented out for all kinds of events. There are five double rooms in the Old Farm and a dining room with seating for 40. During the renovation, every effort was made to preserve the original characteristics of the house which is one of the reasons for the increasing popularity of the house over the years.
Saturday evenings during the summer are spent in song and games around a campfire in Hatioarlundur. This forest-dwelling atmosphere has been a hit among the visitors to Husafell.
Surtshellir (Surt's Cave) is in the Hallmundarhraun lava field, approximately 14 km from Husafell. The cave is among the best known and deepest in Iceland. Surtshellir is mentioned in the sagas. The Icelandic Book of Settlements (Landnama) says that the cave is named after the giant Surtur and that poets composed verses in his honour and recited them at the mouth of the cave. The books Landnama and Haroarsaga tell the story of a band of outlaws who had their stronghold in the cave and stole livestock off the heaths and from the farms. It was impossible to attack them in the cave, because of their strong defensive position, but at long last they were surprised as they lay sleeping in a hollow (Vopnalag or Weapon Hollow) after rounding up sheep on the heath. Hellismannasaga (the Cave Dwellers Saga) probably originated in these events. Place names all over the area bear witness to Hellismannasaga.
Deildartunguhver thermal spring is the largest thermal spring in Iceland. It provides 180 l/sec of 100°C hot water. Some of the water is harnessed for heating utilities in Akranes (64 km) and Borgarnes (34 km), and for farms along the way. A variety of hard fern (blechnun spicant) can be seen near the thermal spring, which does not grow anywhere else in Iceland. The thermal spring is protected. Greenhouse farming is extensive in Deildartunga as well as in other places in the neighbourhood.
Sleeping-bag accommodations are available for up to 20 people in cabins with joint kitchen facilities. The cabins house two people and have been popular for all kinds of travel groups, such as hikers and riders, company outings and people travelling on their own.
Arnarvatnsheioi offers the greatest diversity of trout fishing in Iceland. Angling permits may be purchased at Husafell and a fishing lodge at Ulfljotsvatn is also available for rent.
Pall Guomundsson, Sculpture. The condiction of the roads to Husafell. Mountaineers of Iceland
Just below the swimming pool there is a play area and a new 110 m22 Trambolin.
Hraunfossar og Barnafoss. The waterfalls Hraunfossar and Barnafoss are beautiful and unusual natural phenomena. A large number of travellers make a specific point of visiting these natural treasures. The Hraunfossar Falls are clear, cold springs that well up through the lava and run in falls and rapids into the Hvita River. Barnafoss has been evolving through recorded history, as the river has dug itself down through the lava and runs in a deep and narrow ravine. There used to be a stone arch spanning the river, forming a link between the districts of Halsasveit and Hvitarsioa. The following story relates the reason for the name Barnafoss (Children's Falls): Once there lived a widow on the farm Hraunas. She was well off and among her possessions was the farm Norourreykir in Halsasveit. She had two children. They were quite young when this story took place. There came a time when evening services were to be held at Christmas at Gilsbakki. The Mistress of Hraunsas and all her folk, except the children, attended the service. The children were told to stay at home and play. The moon was shining and the weather was fine. When the people came home the children had disappeared. Their footsteps led to the stone arch over the river. Their mother had the arch destroyed, saying that no man would ever be allowed to cross the falls alive. She later donated to the Church at Reykholt the farm Norourreykir, in memory of her children. (Kristleifur Žorsteinsson II (1972) Hvita.276)
© 2014 hotel-contacts.com. All rights reserved.